Monday, December 10, 2012

Italian Bread Soup

When I first saw this soup recipe I was a little confused.

Bread? Soup? (And no it's not in a bread bowl!)

But I like tomatoes and I LOVE croutons so I figured I'd give it a go.


This soup smells delicious and tastes even better!

The bread absorbs most of the moisture and thickens up the soup.

This soup is light but filling on it's own or could be paired with chicken or salad for a heartier appetite.

Italian Bread Soup
(from Sandra Lee) 
(serves 4)

2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth

4 cans (14.5 ounce each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cups Caesar-style croutons
1 cup frozen chopped onion
1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese 


Directions
 In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, croutons, onion, and salad dressing mix. Cook on High for 4 to 6 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese. 


ENJOY!!!!



(Notes: while the soup was delicious and easily reheated, I do not recommend freezing it.  Can be made vegetarian by subbing vegetable broth)
(Also, I apologize for the lack of photos... camera incident :/)

No comments:

Post a Comment