Monday, February 18, 2013

Raspberry and Coconut Scones


Raspberry and Coconut.  I know it sounds strange but trust me. 

I originally got the idea from a blog I read that called for strawberries and strawberry glaze.  But being that I'm allergic to strawberries and I like to eat what I make, I opted for the raspberries I found at the grocery store (on sale!).

The coconut flavor isn't very strong in these which is why I went for a coconut glaze/frosting.  The coconut and flakes definitely helped the flavor pop!


Raspberry Coconut Scones
(makes 16 scones; adapted from Jessica)

1 pint raspberries, rinsed
3 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup canned coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons melted butter

icing:
1/4 cup (solid) coconut oil
1 tablespoon shredded coconut flakes
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place raspberries in  food processor and blend until smoooth and pureed. Pour into a large bowl and combine vanilla and coconut milk
In large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut milk, raspberry puree and vanilla extract. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
Divide in half and pat into two 7-inch round circles. Brush each dough with melted butter. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or use a biscuit cutter to make rounds. Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds). 
While scones are baking, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add coconut flakes stirring until well combined.  Add in powdered sugar and whisk until combined. 
Remove scones, let cool slightly, then dollop glaze on top of scones. 


ENJOY!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment